Re: Homemade cap..........

Original poster: robert heidlebaugh <rheidlebaugh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Eric: I use bag stock to make capacitors and it works well. First I cut my
aluminum flashing on a paper cutter and punch connector holes in each plate
with a paper punch , Then I seal plastic bags double thick to hold the
plates in position up and down. with open tops. I then wrap 12 layers
tightly around the sides to bind all the plates in position. Thie makes a
capacitor of full voltage rating , but of low capacitance so I parallel 4
capacitors to obtain the value I want. I then mount them in oil in my final
assembly. I use aluminum POP rivets to connect all the plates spaced with
POP rivet washers and tied with string to hold the assembly in place. each
capacitor is full voltage rated so there is no series connection problems.
The only problem is finding a sutable oil tight container. My students have
used most any plastic container even COCO chocolet cans.
   Robert   H