RE: More three phase fun...

At 07:36 AM 1/19/2005, you wrote:
Original poster: "Steve Conner" <steve.conner@xxxxxxxxxxx>

>I certainly have
>just playing with my AC car alternator over the years.

Hi Harvey,

What's the maximum voltage you can get out of a car alternator with the
diodes removed? Can it be pushed as far as 200V (between phases which would
be 120V phase to neutral)

Kind of complex question to answer.

1) What's the insulation breakdown on the windings? I'd suspect no problem there.
2) The max voltage (no load) is determined by the field strength and the rotational speed. You'll have to calculate
3) Field strength is determined by field current, which in turn is limited by thermal dissipation (you can only put so much field current in before it fries)

I have heard of people getting 120V out of car alternators (you used to be able to get kits to do this), but I don't know if that was 120V phase to phase or 120V phase to neutral.