RE: Homemade cap..........try this

Original poster: "Black Moon" <black_moons@xxxxxxxxxxx>

On a subnote, 2l clear popbottle plastic is great for homemade caps, iv tested it for medium lengths of time and without airvacing or oilfilling or anything it seems to hold up to 10kv+ pertty well, the tinfoil does seem to 'bond' to the plastic a bit and it gets a little cloudy with use, but thats dosent seem to be a problem. insted of filling the bottle with water, what I do is cut the middle flat section out of 2 pop bottles and roll a standard cap with that. hence no mess, just make sure to leave plenty of clearance beween the sheets or you can get power arcs that will melt a cut into the plastic (tho at lower BPS rates/capitance all it does is discolor the plastic where it arcs over and keeps kickin) I have one cap I took apart you could see upwards of 15 diffrent 'power arcs' marks at the edge. Typical capacitance is about 4~6nf per 2 bottles depending on how well you get the tinfoil flat (Best to just remove it from the roll as carfuly as possable, not try and flaten it afterwards and toss the foil if you wrinkle it to much), you can usally roll it to about a 1" inter diamiter, and roll multiple 'caps' ontop of eachother

From: "Tesla list" <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
To: tesla@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: RE: Homemade cap..........try this
Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2005 20:30:05 -0700

Original poster: "david baehr" <dfb25@xxxxxxxxxxx>

Yes, good idea. I still havnt decided to build them for sure, ..I still am using my Ol' T.C.B.O.R. caps (3)I made back in the early '90's ,.... there still workin' ,,about .02mfd each I think.I saw this poly material and thought many thin dielectric caps may perform better than the 60mil rolls, ............?