Re: Non-GFI NSTs

At 06:53 AM 1/6/2005, you wrote:
Original poster: "Matthew Carlson" <mjc8804@xxxxxxx>

Wow, thats gotta be hard.  I can't believe they would want to be that
way to hobbiests.  Just don't see what they gain by smashing them.  Good
luck in the future of finding NST's.  If it weren't so much for
shipping, i'd say i'd help you, but seeing how i'm in the US, it would
be horribly expensive.

Matt

Well...I suspect the sign shops break the insulators to prevent them from being reused in a sign. It might be that they rip the ID plates off and send them to a mfr for a credit, along with a certification that the transformers have been destroyed. (For instance, say you bought a transformer with a 5 year warranty, but are required to remove it early for code compliance.. the mfr might give you a credit on the remaining unused warranty). It might also be a standard practice to prevent unscrupulous competitors from scrounging the now illegal (for sign use) transformers and undercutting the legitmate companies with "non-code" installations.

Jim