To: <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Monday, January 03, 2005 1:23 PM
Subject: Re: Winding technique

"A small clipboard type clamp is used around the cardboard V to add
pressure
if it's needed for larger gauges of wire.  With most smaller type magnet
wires in the 18 to 30 AWG range just going around a bend as it travel
through the V cardboard part is enough tension.  The object here is to
have
enough tension on the line (magnet wire) so if you need to stop the
winder
the wire won't all go "sprong".

Other coil winders I have seen used commercially are types with a number
of
rollers or pulleys over which the wire travels.  5-6 changes of
direction
provide enough tension to make it work.

I'm a fan of the cardboard with clip though --- because it always works
great.

Dr. Resonance"

I must be extra dense because I still don't understand; I'd like to as
it sounds like something of considerable future use.  What I'm
visualizing is a piece of cardboard, plane perpendicular to the wire,
with a V-shaped notch with the wire threading through the vertex of the
V.  I don't understand where the "clipboard type clamp" is mounted.  In
looking at Liviu's pictures I can see what he has done (looks simple and
neat, although I can't see how that small spool of wire is going to
cover winding of the rest of that big coil), but don't see where the
clamp would fit either.

Help!

Ed