Re: o-scope tuning of tesla coil?

Original poster: Sue Gaeta <sgsparky@xxxxxxxxxxx>

You are going to drive yourself nuts if you try to determine the resonant frequency of the primary circuit with the secondary in place. You will get two different peaks that way, and I don't even remember if one of those is at the correct frequency. Take the secondary out of there, short out your gap, and just look for the frequency that gives the dramatic rise in voltage. It can be pretty sharp and easy to miss, so go reeeeeal slow in tuning. It's a pretty dramatic increase so you will know it when you see it.

Tesla list <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Original poster: "Black Moon"

hmm.. im not sure if this is working... even adding a few turns on the
primary seems to have little or no effect, can't seem to get
primary/secondary tuned quite right... anyone know how to do it with both
secondary and primary hooked up? (osilator to primary) and what the o-scope
pics look at diffrent tuneing levels? seems to be getting about a 10x
voltage gain and the secondary voltage is peaking in a few cycles (7 or so)
with high coupleing...