Terry's DRSSTC - Buss cap damage...

Hi All,

So I cranked it up into a bare primary circuit with about 3 ohms of resistance:

http://drsstc.com/~terrell/pictures/NewBridge-01.gif

Note that the voltage driving square wave is super clean!! Almost "too" clean... It started out clean with the last bridge too, but then got noisy... Hmmmmmmm ?;-| I wonder if there was some damage to the old bridge I did not detect... Gee whiz, I checked and double checked everything... Think more on that... But clean is good for now ;-)

So I tore apart the old 4.7uF 600V 940C 6W4P7K CD buss cap I still had, and a brand new one......

I first noted the old one had an odor of "fried chicken" ;o)) I only have my new Buck 277 hunting knife and my Channellock 349 linesman's plier here tonight... But I think I see the end plate connections on the old cap are "fried"... I think, "again", those weenie "metalized film" caps have let us Tesla coilers down as we push thousands of amps through them :o)))

I'll see if I can check it out on the fancy scope stuff at work tomorrow, but it looks like you really want to bypass those buss caps good with lower value high dV/dT caps!!! Electrolytics probably look "open circuit" and metalized poly caps probably fry... We need to conduct the "crazy currents" around them...

These IGBTs, driven hard, have "terrible" dV/dTs and dI/dTs... We have to have darn good caps right there in the buss to take that crap...

Hope we don't have to got to those $16.00 (each!!) ruby/sapphire caps... But my new H-bridge board (http://drsstc.com/~terrell/pcbart/H-Bridge-01.gif) has holes drilled and ready :o)))))

Bwahahhahahha!!!

Cheers,

        Terry