Terry's DRSSTC - New H-Bridge :-)

Hi All,

Well I got all the new H-bridge parts at noon today right on time :-)

Just about an hour to put it together and another to install it.

It is just like the old one but with bigger traces where the last one broke, no MOV, and the new 10nF ceramic buss caps. I forgot to take pictures... But it "looks" just the same... I have all the covers on the box "these days" to contain explosions ;-))

The schematic is here:

http://drsstc.com/~terrell/schematics/NewH-Bridge.gif

The old MOV across the output was really not needed since I have others on the buss side of the bridge* and the gate drives have TVS... The MOV acted much like a 450pF cap and models suggest that "any" capacitance directly across the bridge is a very bad thing! I never could get a model to simulate what blew the last bridge. The models all crashed due to giant di/dt errors. So I guess the models just blew up too ;-)) So the "rule" is no caps directly across the H-bridge!!

I powered the buss first with five 9V batteries (~50 volts) and found that I had the feedback CT reversed since I goofed with it. No big deal to switch the wires... This confirmed that all was working well with a very "weak" power supply that would not hurt anything if something was messed up.

At full power to the buss, I did note it now has a significant "sound" as the bridge switches. Magneto-constriction I think. I did not get my ears next to it since another explosion would be "bad" with an ear near it. But something is far noisier now. Might just be a loose heat sink or two parts clattering too. No big deal for now...

So I cranked it up into a bare primary circuit with about 3 ohms of resistance:

http://drsstc.com/~terrell/pictures/NewBridge-01.gif

Note that the voltage driving square wave is super clean!! Almost "too" clean... It started out clean with the last bridge too, but then got noisy... Hmmmmmmm ?;-| I wonder if there was some damage to the old bridge I did not detect... Gee whiz, I checked and double checked everything... Think more on that... But clean is good for now ;-)

Notice the 1.4MHz unloaded ring down:

http://drsstc.com/~terrell/pictures/NewBridge-02.gif

Just a resonance "somewhere". Not sure at all where. Does no harm, but I should probably "find it"...

The current limit circuit still trips too soon. Probably noise on the protection inputs due to these super fast switching times!!!!

http://drsstc.com/~terrell/pictures/NewBridge-03.gif

http://drsstc.com/~terrell/pictures/NewBridge-04.gif

I did add a grounded shield to the CTs during the down time and "special" caps to the protection circuit:

http://drsstc.com/~terrell/pictures/CTshield.JPG

http://drsstc.com/~terrell/pictures/ProtCardCaps.JPG

These are just the output float pull down times, but even with the probe's 100MHz limits, it is still hitting "gulp" 37500v/uS!!!!!! Nice the that rise and fall waveforms are almost mirror image...

Right now the output in these super short time frames is just like an open load and there is nothing to push the output voltage back down once the IGBTs go all open during the transition. I was thinking of adding some resistance across the output to see if that would help, but stopped remembering that flippantly putting things across the output is how I blew the crappojebbies out of the last H-bridge ;-))

So it is all up and working again.

Few question as to noise and such, but these are pure "science" problems that can be solved just by thinking *;-) The performance is almost "way TOO good"...

I see no real problem in running the switch times SUPER fast! Have to be very carful not to cross-conduct, but in this low duty cycle application the IGBT drives and IGBTs seem to love it ;-)) Goodness knows that the power lost to IGBT heat due to switching is about zero with 4nS transitions ;-)) But the spike noise is pretty bad too... Might have to consider massive filtering on the over current, or just command the *&^& thing to the "disable" state ;-)) I guess Steve's is working well so I will have to study his solution more...

Cheers,

	Terry

*There is a potential "big problem" if a DRSSTC driver were to blow open. The say 20KV voltage on the Tesla coil's primary caps could find it's way inside the DRSSTC "box" and do "massive" damage!!! Simple MOVs in the right places will "catch" these voltages in the case of say an H-bridge nuke and just short them out.