Re: DRSSTC - I think I heard Cross Conduction...

Original poster: Sue Gaeta <sgsparky@xxxxxxxxxxx>

Cool! Those numbers actually make more sense to me now that I am actually in the middle of this DRSSTC stuff.

The numbers are probably not going to be that exact because some of the energy gets radiated, rather than "sparked", but I think that is probably a very good representation of what is happening.

I think it's a good idea to get these things tuned as best as we can because if they are too far off, energy would be reflected back into the H bridge. From what I was seeing though, it looks like I have a pretty good sized bandwidth, since adding a two foot clip lead to the 8" torroid didn't really change things all that much. I wonder if I would have that large of a bandwidth if I had a much larger tank cap, and fewer primary turns though. Too narrow of a bandwidth could make the primary be out of tune when you get those 6 foot streamers! I don't have that problem for a number of reasons! :-) :-(.

Then again, maybe because of the coupling that is typical of TCs, reflected power isn't as much of a problem as it is with transmitter circuits. That seems to be the case since there are so many working DRSSTCs out there ;-)

After looking at my puny little 15" streamers, I started to ponder about power. Those short streamers look like they could set fire to anything that touches them, and I am afraid to go near them! That sharp, loud 100hz buzz adds a bit to the intimidation factor, but those things look mean! They are probably very powerful, but I need to get the voltage up a bit to get them to start hitting chandeleirs, and bed frames!

Sue

Tesla list <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Original poster: Terry Fritz

Hi Sue,

I posted this chart from a simulations awhile back:

Cpri Ip (peek) Vs (peek kV) Streamer Power (W) 130 183 233 666.07 135 124 222 488.42 140 129 220 570.26 145 141 226 620.93 150 167 242 650.85 155 191 252 666.07

Here you can see the dip in primary current that also tends to dip the
output voltage. But running at the dip point is the most efficient. You
may actually see long sparks with the tuning off but at the expense of much
more primary current. Not sure how real these simulations are, but if you
see that the lowest input current point also produces the best sparks, that
would be a good thing :-)

Cheers,

Terry