Re: Meter Shunts ??

Original poster: Thomas DeGregorio <tommacs@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

It's seems like a pretty normal meter to me. Here's a link to where
it's sold at from allelectronics
http://www.allelectronics.com/cgi-bin/category.cgi? category=385&item=PMD-200A&type=store
But do you think the resistor ideal will work too?

-Tom

On Feb 14, 2005, at 9:24 PM, Tesla list wrote:

Original poster: "Rich" <rdjmgmt@xxxxxxxxxx>

200 Amp Meter, something that size is feed by a transformer, did it
have
a torrid with it?? The line carrying the load will go through the
torrid
and it will have a few windings (depending on the meter),on the torrid
to pick up current induced by the 200 amp line.
Rich

Subject: Re: Meter Shunts ??

Original poster: Thomas DeGregorio <tommacs@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

         Oh I'm talking about voltages anywhere from zero volts to
350VDC.
Then current anywhere from 0 to oh say about 500amps.
         Then of course I would like to do primary measuring so then
15KVAC
but that's a different story.

         I just wanna to know if using resistors is an efficient way of
dropping the current and voltage since it will be to high for the meter
handle. I have found a nice cheap 200 amp panel meter, I so can just
use
resistor so it can handle more current and drop the voltage, then just
recalculate that new ratio and then I know what the current is. Then do
the
same with a voltage panel meter though I will need to get one that
reads

like mVDC since I will need a big meaty resistor.