Re: Meter Shunts ??

Original poster: <tesla@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

A meter shunt is really just a big low resistance resistor.

The idea is you can measure a large curent by measuring the voltage drop
across the shunt. Say you have a 400amp shunt rated 50mV. All it does is
have a voltage drop of 50mV when you run 400amps though it. 200amps across
it will make 25mV. they low voltages they output are great for direct
attachment to most analog meters.

Shunts are for measuring current, not voltage in a circuit, even though
they work be measuring a small voltage and presenting it on a meter with
current on the legend.

Shunts don't drop any current, but will drop the same amount of voltage
across them as the meter reads. Again, this tends to be tens of mV at
most.

Meter shunts are not isolated from the load you are measuring. If you are
working with high voltages that float above ground, this will be present
in the meter too, so you need to watch out for that.

KEN