Re: power factor correction

Original poster: <tesla@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

On Sat, 12 Feb 2005, Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "Gerald  Reynolds" <gerryreynolds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>
> Hi Dan,
>
> I dont think the PFC will effect the electric bill since the KWH meter
> measures true power.  It will reduce the line current and help keep
> breakers from tripping for coils that draw high enough power.

The wattmeter will pickup the resistive losses in your wiring from the
extra current flow. The impedance of the outlet I ran tesla coil off last
was measured at 0.3 or 0.4 ohms, so if I draw an extra 5amps of current,
my meter will pickup I^2 * R or 25* 0.4 or 10 watts. This grows really
fast the greater the current, but for a few amps, it's close to nothing,
not even the effort of looking for an extra capacitor to connect to your
transformer primary.

The power company has losses on their side from reactive current, but they
eat those costs.

KEN