Re: Beginner questions

Original poster: "Jim Lux" <jimlux@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

----- Original Message ----- From: "Tesla list" <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx> To: <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx> Sent: Thursday, February 10, 2005 7:44 PM Subject: Beginner questions

> Original poster: Tyler Pauly <rpggod714@xxxxxxxxx> > > Hello, I'm building my first coil. I have some > questions that only need to be asked once. They are: > > 1. What do you use to connect the "parts - aka the > capacitor, transformer, primary, etc.? Do you use > house wire (12 gauge)?

Sure, that will work just fine.  So will AWG14 or AWG16.  Stranded will work
too.  Don't forget it's at a reasonably high voltage, so don't expect the
insulation on house wire to actually hold off the voltage.  Just space it
from other things (an inch per 10kV is a nice, very conservative, spacing)

> 2. Do you have any words of wisdom on constructing the
> primary? Mine will be 12 turns of .25 copper tubing
> held by HDPE cutting board. They start at 6" diam. to
> 17". I originally planned for 6 supports, but not only
> was it incredibly hard to "wind" it, but the glue
> holding the plastic to the board support gave out. I
> know glue wasn't the best idea, so I'm now routing
> ruts into my board to slip the strips of HDPE into.
> I'm kind of struggling. There's got to be an easier
> way to this. Any ideas?

Cut your board into strips about an inch wide. Turn the strips on edge. Use
a router to cut notches in the top edge.  Use some sort of non-conductive
screws (or heck, short sheet metal screws) to attach the strips to a base.
Gluing HDPE is almost impossible.  You have to weld it (using a hot air
welder).  If you use metal screws, it might arc, but then, you pull the
screws, and get a tap, and put nylon machine screws in instead.