RE: Ultra tiny coils!

Original poster: "Steve Conner" <steve.conner@xxxxxxxxxxx>

>You say 0.5pF at 140nH for the secondary.

It's 0.5pF for the secondary and 140nH for the primary :-P

Anyway, Derek's coils look super cool! I think his solid state HV power
supply is great too. I don't think it is pulsed- the 555 in that circuit is
acting as a square wave oscillator at a few tens of kHz, this is stepped up
in the 4:2000 turn ferrite transformer and then rectified.

So it basically supplies high voltage DC to the tank circuit to charge the
caps. I saw it running once and the coil sparks continuously like a normal
DC coil would.

The transformer for this must have been tricky to make with good enough
insulation. But I suspect you could use a ferrite transformer salvaged from
an electronic NST, these should have about the right number of secondary
turns.

Steve C.