RE: homemade transformer

Original poster: "Godfrey Loudner" <ggreen@xxxxxxxx>

Hello Bobby

You might try http://home.att.net/~allencoilpage. Look for home spun
transformer projects. Allen had a head start by using the core of an
x-ray transformer and winding down the high voltage coils.

Also try http://www.tesla-2.org/~mikeh. Look for WinXformer.zip, which
is a transformer design engine. This engine has not been peer review,
but it seems to make sense.

Use a large core to get a lot of window space. We don't have access to
the superior insulation  commercial operations use. Acid free artist
craft paper between layer will use a lot a space. Don't use polyurethane
to coat the paper. It dries with many air bubbles. Let the magnet wire
hold the paper in place. After oil permeates the paper, the insulation
will be about as good as we can get it.

Its really difficult to find a large core of just the right size. My
approach to home spun transformers was to mine many primary and
secondary coils from x-ray transformer off ebay. I must have something
like say 40 of them. Then I started buying x-ray core laminations off
ebay and finally landed a giant 3-phase x-ray transformer for I'm
guessing 700 pounds of large laminations. The laminations are about
3.75" in width, which is just fine for my heavy high voltage coils. My
idea was to assemble a big square core to hang the big coils on. Then I
could go crazy slipping on coil after coil to see what would happen.
Then IT happened---the legs started weighing in at 150 pound per. I
would end up with a core at about 600 pounds. I could not see how I
could deal with such heavy core. The thing is still in a jig and not
completed. Once in a while I try to go at it again, but manage to find
something else to do.

Godfrey Loudner