Re: Capacitor Size and BPS

Original poster: FutureT@xxxxxxx In a message dated 12/27/05 2:25:01 AM Eastern Standard Time, tesla@xxxxxxxxxx writes:

Hi John,

Yes, of course, but I can't model the ARSG without actual motor
specs, so the SRSG as a general use is fine (decent ball park for ARSG).

Take care,
Bart

Hi Bart,

Any high break rate spark gap (ARSG or SRSG)
will skip some firings near the zero crossing.  To make the
calculations more accurate, the bps figure used for the calc
could be reduced by
some estimated %, to allow for this.  A proper scoping of some
high bps SRSG rotaries could show a good ballpark % to use
for this bps reduction.  The actual reduction would depend on
factors such as gap spacing vs, voltage, calced bps, etc.
The higher the calced bps, the more firings will be skipped.
For example at 360 bps, no gap presentations might be skipped,
but at 1200 bps, two firings may be skipped on each half cycle,
giving an actual bps of 960 bps (two firings skipped x 120 half-cycles
per sec. = 240 firings skipped/ sec.   And 1200 calced bps minus
240 firings skipped = 960 bps actual).  The actual reduction could
be greater or less of course depending on various factors.  But in
any case this would have some effect on power throughput
calculations.  These low level "side" firings contribute minimally to the
overall power throughput.

In my own scope tests, I could see more firings come
on-line as I continued to crank up my input power using high bps
sync rotaries, as more gap presentations came to have sufficient voltage
to fire.

John