Re: Capacitor Size and BPS

Hi Peter,

I've always been interested in these high bps achievements. Could you send me some basic specs on your coil setup? I would just like to know the transformer and cap specs if it's not too much trouble (I assume the coil is 32" length or near?).

I agree with your last statement. The burst rate and it's affect on growth with comparison to input power may allow for other tradeoffs (like longer sparklengths with smaller cap size). Just curious on the specs if you have them.

Take care,
Bart

Tesla list wrote:

Original poster: "Peter Terren" <pterren@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

My coil has best performance at 1200BPS (9,000rpm, 8 electrodes) and achieves 8 foot sparks, 3 times the secondary length. The screaming jet philosophy works for me. Efficiency is difficult to determine at >5kW at the time as I didn't have the true RMS wattmeter that I have now. But that was a secondary consideration to spark length. I am still not sure we really have a good idea of burst
frequency and length to get optimal spark growth.

Peter
http://tesladownunder.com/

Higher BPS doesn't offer as much energy per bang but since you're
firing more bangs per second, the total output power will still be
similar to the synch 120 BPS and the available power from the transformer is the limiting factor. Many coilers note increased spark length by increasing the BPS with an asynch driven coil, within reason. Emperical research has shown that there isn't any advantage by running BPS higher than 500 to 600 and the output
spark length actually begins to go down for a given input power
when BPS ranges are pushed beyond that. Besides that, very high
BPS rep rate is VERY hard on the primary capacitor ;^0

David Rieben