Re: Terry's New Plane Wave Antenna

Original poster: "Dmitry (father dest)" <dest@xxxxxxxxxxx>

> Original poster: Terry Fritz <vardin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

>>ready for the bricks :-)

> If you know how to do it better, do it!

he-he - a nice one, but not to me :-) i`d like to say right away, that
the purpose of my posts is not to  show this antenna is bad, the purpose
is to know - if i understand its working correct ;-)
i don`t know what is better or worse - how about Marco`s liquid
resistive divider? unfortunately  most of people are too small for it %-)

>>the most interesting - to see the voltage changing at the start (and
>>after) the discharge appears, but the antenna will work in its
>>worst way in this case - coz the discharge carries the area  of the
>>strong field in its head. even if the discharge is not directed in the
>>antenna side - it should  change the field configuration a lot anyway.

> One could test for that with just a common metal wire shaped like a
> streamer.  That tends to increase the secondary capacitance buy the
> usual 5 to 8%.  But the system voltage would drop with this load.  I
> suppose one could "calibrate" the antenna with a wire streamer
> simulator too...

can you implement the "wire streamer" into E-tesla to run a "real"
simulation? or maybe there is  something like "Bela 3D" here?
coz i can`t fire coils now - only computers :-)))

>>imo this antenna can`t be used for any measurements - only for
>>observing waveforms, and even then with some restrictions. but
>>waveforms of what? indeed not of the secondary voltage itself, but
>>summ of it with voltage changes caused by other processes.

> It is a question of accuracy.  I think the antenna does really well
> compared to the next best thing, which does not seem to exist ;-))

you take its design from industrial e-field antennas at your work? but
they are truly _field_  antennas, and your device is not, as you have
said many times.
so output of your antenna is in proportion not with the voltage
between two points in the field at arbitrary distance from the toroid,
and not with the field strength/voltage at one point - it`s
proportional to the voltage on the capacitance 20nf, so if i`m not
mistaken, the antenna is not sensitive to the field  distortion,
caused by presence of some heavy things near (not necessarily conductors).
but how do you think - does the capacitance between the toroid and
front plane of the antenna depend from the strength/form of the field?
coz the field between the toroid and the antenna is not uniform, and
this field is not completely contained between them.

you advice to calibrate antenna by giving a known high voltage at the
toroid - say, from the nst. but  the field of working coil is much
stronger - imo the charges in the area "toroid-plane of the
antenna" will be located in other way, so the capacitance of this area
will change and the calibration will be not precise, no?

p.s.

"Testing:
Predicted waveform
[...]
Actual waveform
[...]
Almost a perfect match ;-)"

if these waveforms are for the case without sparks? but you can`t
predict waveforms in case of the  sparks presence, so how could you
know if it is perfect or not perfect match in that case? you`ll just
have nothing to compare with ;-)

p.p.s.

"In order to get the signals from the antennas to the oscilloscope
input, a coaxial cable is used. This cable represents a transmission
line and the antenna system must be designed to take the cable
impedance into account.
[...]
R1 is fairly critical and should be a small 1/8W carbon resistor
whose value is selected to be very near 50 ohms to match the impedance
of the cable."

you have matched the transmission line from one end - from the side
of the generator, but at the load end there`s no any matching -
wouldn`t it be the reason of having high reflected signal (or ringing)?

-----
Let the bass kick! =:-D