RE: Fw: Capacitor Help (primary coil turns, cooling motor)

Original poster: "Rich" <rdjmgmt@xxxxxxxxxx>

 FYI, the gap for my 15Kv30ma NST is from tubes with a small chip of
.032 Teflon between them top and bottom (.260 total), but any plastic
will work for set up. I added a small block of hard closed cell foam in
the center to force the air flow through the tubes. I used a small dap
of epoxy to hold the tubes in place , if I tighten down the bolts too
much it would pull the gap out of shape. If the tubes are not even it
will spark on one end only.

Rich

Thanks very much for that.  I was worried I was way off track and needed
modify my system to get down into the 9 to 10 turn range.  You are
right, I
may have just not interpreted something correctly.
I'll get some more turns added to the primary most probably tonight.
However I accidentally killed my squirrel cage motor for cooling the
spark
gap.  I had removed the top cover of my box containing the primary and
was
fine tuning the safety gap.  One of the HV leads from the NST slide down
and
touched the case on the motor and I assume fried it.  It doesn't work
any
more.  Amazingly my 4" PVC spark gap with copper tubes produced some of
the
best sparks yet off the torrid and we didn't even have a cooling fan
source
to quench the spark.  I'm going to have to find some other source of
cooling.  For me it has to be portable as I like taking my new coil
places.

Thanks
Malcolm - KC