Re: Capacitor Help

Hi Malcolm,

Actually, rotary spark gaps can get you to the "next level". I would first experiment with static spark gaps for learning purposes. Computer simulations show that you can get about 0.5 x the KVA rating of the transformer using static spark gaps in terms of real power to the coil. With a synchronous spark gap, you can get more than the KVA rating out of the transformer. This is a fun persuit after you master static gaps.

Gerry R.

Original poster: "MalcolmTesla" <tesla@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

I got to thinking... what about a rotary powered spark gap?  I see people
building all kinds of disks etc. to make this work but why not just grab an
old spark plug distributor from a car and attach an electric motor to it?
With a rotary spark gap do you just set the motor to a certain speed?  It
seems like there would be a timing issue too?  What if the caps are still
busy charging and the distributor lines up the terminals and discharges it?
I don't know, maybe I'm just thinking to hard about it :)