Re: Lead Free (was Re: CD MMC caps from DigiKey...)

Hi Mark,

I have used Radio Shack's "silver bearing" solder (64-035) but it is just regular lead solder with silver added (62/36/2). I like it when greater strength is needed. and it does solder very well with just a little more heat. I have not tried the 96/4 tin-silver stuff (64-025 64-026).

Digikey lists the silver bearing alloys, but doe not stock them (Oh oh!!) The kind I did not like was KE1351 which is (97/0.2/0.8/2) or "Saf-a-lloy". Kester may no longer sell it since I can't find it on their site and DK does not have it in stock. I got it when it first came out so maybe I was part of the "guinea pig" test... All the other lead frees have silver too except the 100% tin.

The Radio Shack stuff is a nice trial price so I will pick so up and give it a try. I think 96/4 comes from the stained glass industry. Typically, electronics stuff should not have silver in it due to a nasty thing known as silver migration. But I don't think that is a big deal for the hobbyist types. The military and the medical stuff will have big heart burn over the silver however!

Hopefully they will find something that works well. Perhaps just the 100% tin with the right flux, but they could not charge enough money for that :o)) I'll have to keep an eye out incase they don't find a good new solder and the lead solder starts to disappear. Might have to get a lifetime supply of Kester 44 RA ;-))

Cheers,

        Terry