Re: Capacitor Help

Original poster: Esondrmn@xxxxxxx
Malcolm in KC,

I would suggest using plastic for your primary supports. Wood will allow high voltage creeping and eventually shorts. Unless you dry it very well first and coat it with a few coats of varnish, shellac, etc. I have heard of folks cooking (?) wood in a bath of liquid wax for a permanent water proofing. I just use plastic. Also, I would definitely not try to thread the primary tubing through holes drilled in the supports. It is very difficult. I use notches and have a small hole drilled under each notch then use plastic wire ties to hold the tubing in place. I usually use 3/8" spacing between adjacent windings. This is enough space and still allows room for the clip on your tap lead.

Ed Sonderman