----- Original Message -----
From: "Tesla list" <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
To: <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Tuesday, December 13, 2005 10:13 PM

> Original poster: Terry Fritz <vardin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>
> Yep!  Maybe a bit of wire inside the tube will help hold it
> too.  Soldering the tubing together is fine.

I was thinking of adding a small stub of 3/8" or what ever fits over to
secure the two together.  Or better yet crush a small cut off and press it
inside the two so no external blemish shows.

I've always inserted a copper sleeve inside the tubing, pressed the 2 tubing end flush and soldered it that way. You don't want to keep the tubing as natural to a single length tube as possible without overwhelming hills and valleys. After I've soldered the flush ends together, I then sand down the solder to the tubing diameter.

I just got done looking at my
coil and noticed it can only support a max of 10 turns.  Since this doesn't
give me much room to experement or adjust (11 turns might be my sweet spot?)
should I just scrap this setup and start winding tighter with only 1/2"
gaps.  I could also start closer to the secondary.  Right now I have 1 1/2"
gap around the secondary PVC before the first primary winding starts.

1.5" is not a bad place to start, but you could likely move closer to 1". However, leaving the start at 1.5" is fine. Decreasing the spacing would certainly help contract the turns and allow more turns for the same area. You seem to have enough spacing there to play with. It helps to keep an eye on coupling when doing this. Javatc is great for "what if I did this" situations. It will identify sec to pri spacing, and very accurately identify the coupling coefficient which I recommend to start at about 0.153 or in that vicinity when the primary inner turn is even with the lower sec turn. This position and coupling ensures minimal coupling adjustment for maximum energy transfer when the actual hands-on adjustment is performed.

Speaking of secondary PVC I was just in the garage starting to cut it down
to size and I got to thinking.  Do I need to leave any additional pipe on
either end?  For example I'm going to wrap say 20" of wire.  Should I cut
the PVC at 22" so I have a 1" gap on either end?  Or do I leave say 6 or 8"
gap on the top so I can place my torid up higher?

That's up to you. Everyone has their opinions here. From my perspective, I like to leave enough pipe to be used for toroid mounting purposes and to keep the bottom secondary turns up a little distance from it's supports. I usually keep about 2" on both ends beyond the actual winding length.

Take care,
Bart