Re: Capacitor Help

At 08:16 PM 12/13/2005, you wrote:

I have no problem adding more tubing.  Do I just join it with a tiny piece
and solder them like I was fixing a water leak in the house?  Will this
still work properly?

Yep! Maybe a bit of wire inside the tube will help hold it too. Soldering the tubing together is fine.

Terry, thank you for all the help, I've answered some questions inline up
above.  I noticed while reading the archieves that lots of people speak of
tuning the system for X lenght of sparks.  How exactly do you tune the
system?  Is it by adjusting where you tap into the primary, by adjusting the
spark gap? or a combination of the two?  I guess I should ask before I just
fire the system up and ruin it but how big should I set the spark gap?  What
determains if I need it bigger or smaller?

You fine tune the coil by moving the primary tap point around. Usually turn by turn until you find the point that gives the biggest top sparks. Moving the tap point adjusts the primary frequency to match the secondary frequency. It always takes a little fine adjustment to get right on the best spot.

To adjust the spark gap, put "just the gap" without anything else connected across the NST. Then power up the NST. The voltage will then be right at the normal NST output voltage. You then want the gap to fire reliably with the widest gap. This will set the gap at about 21000 volts. You might have to move the gaps a bit closer after that to get good firing with everything else connected. You should never move them further apart.

BTW - I'm pretty impressed by all the math up above and what you were able
to work out.  I'm searching right now for Bart's various programs and others
on the net.

http://www.classictesla.com/

http://hot-streamer.com/rscopper/dload5.html

http://hot-streamer.com/temp/FormulasForTeslaCoils.pdf