Re: Capacitor Help

Original poster: "MalcolmTesla" <tesla@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

----- Original Message -----
From: "Tesla list" <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
To: <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Tuesday, December 13, 2005 8:25 PM

> Original poster: "Lau, Gary" <Gary.Lau@xxxxxx>
>
> Hi Malcolm:
>
> I assume you meant to say 27 AWG?  If your secondary is 4" diameter, you
> want the winding length to be roughly 5 times as long, or 20".  Using 27
> AWG, that should work out to about 1300 turns - perfect.  Note that
> there is nothing magical about the 5:1 aspect ratio or the 1300 turns.
> You could be off by a factor of 30% (a number I picked from the air) and
> it would still work.  Don't bother counting turns.

Yes I meant 27 awg, sorry about that.  I'll shoot for 18 ~ 20".  That goes
along with Terry and his calculations.

> The thing you should pay attention to is the relationship of the plane
> of the primary to the lowermost turn of the secondary.  They should be
> assembled to be adjustable so you can vary the coupling, plus and minus
> 1 vertical inch relative to each other.  The final position can't be
> determined until you run it.

Humm yet another complication LOL.  OK so my secondary has to be adjustable
in height when I'm done.  I guess you move it up and down while testing
output and see which works best.  Humm so does this mean I should raise my
primary any?  I just guessed at height and set it approx 1 1/4 ~ 1 1/2"
above the deck  lid.  The wood was cut at 1 1/2" but then the notchs recess
it about 1/4".

> You haven't worked out the details to know how many primary turns you'll
> need yet, but it's very possible you may need more than 7.  On the
> subject of primaries, one of the tricks to a neatly wound primary is to
> use more than 4 comb supports - probably 6 minimum.

I think I may also try 1 x 2 trim board turned on its side and drill some
holes towards the top.  Not just notches but actual holes so the copper
can't fly all over the place.  Then I'll slowly wind it in from the outside
towards the inside.

> I noticed in the photos you posted you had a couple of toggle switches
> neatly mounted on the base.  With most well-performing coils, one
> generally wants to keep much further away from the base to avoid being a
> target.

Yes that is true.  Notice I put that big red neon light there.  That is a
warning light that comes on the instant the unit is plugged in.  That is to
warn me (or anyone) NOT to flick the switches because the unit is plugged in
(unless you want to get zapped in the head or something).  The idea is you
flick both switches on (cooling motor and HV) and then step away and plug in
the extension cord.  The reason I put switches is so I can turn off the HV
and just flick on the cooling motor and or what ever appears on there in the
future.  It's probably unnecessary overkill but I like to tinker.

> Also on your 2-bolt gap, be sure to use a 2nd nut on each bolt to
> tightly secure it, or you will find that arcing is occurring on the
> threads between the stationary nut and the bolt.

Ahh excellent point.  I didn't think of that.  Although the threads are
fairly tight, yet I can still see that happening.  I'll get some extra nuts.

Thanks so much
Malcolm - KC