Re: Tesla Coil Formula

Original poster: Jared E Dwarshuis <jdwarshui@xxxxxxxxx>

Hi Bart:

With standing wave resonance, the change of inductance is a matter of
perspective:
You can change the regions of voltage and current within an inductor.
>From the standpoint of angular frequency, you have changed the
inductance. It is no longer based on the entire length of the
inductor. But from the standpoint of energy you have not changed the
inductance. It will still be the sum of the energy storage from each
region. (like the lumped model)

Inter-turn inductance:

The classic equation for inductance of a solenoid is based on
examining a section from an infinitely long solenoid.  The magnetic
field in a short solenoid is not uniform, hence L is less.

Is we measured L across a few centimeters of wire in an inductor and
then removed the section and measure it again. I would not be
surprised to see a difference in L.  The environments of the electric
and magnetic fields have changed considerably.

Quarter waves:

People build really impressive "quarter wave" coils with enormous top
ends. Large top end capacitances may in fact, maximize displacement
current. These coils are not strictly speaking; wire length resonant,
although they may operate at harmonics of the wire length. I don't
think that multiple wavelength coils can be built using this
approach.

Respectfully: Jared Dwarshuis