Re: Tesla Coil Formula

Original poster: Jared E Dwarshuis <jdwarshui@xxxxxxxxx>

The length of the wire has no ability to account for the inter-turn
capacitance or inter-turn inductance which is formed by currents
within the wire and currents affected by other currents in adjacent
turns. This is "ridiculously" obvious. If one must consider these
"real" situations, then wire length theory hits a dead end.

The bottom line is wire length theory is limited, and we are beyond
that limit (but not everyone has traveled down that path). There was
a time when coils were built with wire length theory, they worked
fine, and the theory was accepted.

This list has battled these issues in the past (ref the archives).
The fact is, as we strive to understand the physics encompassed with
our coils, we realized wire length theory could not provide the
answers. If you want to "ball park" these physics, fine. But, if you
really want to know, follow the currents.

Take care,
Bart

Hi: Bart

Inductance is not regulated by current, otherwise when (we) changed
the current(we) would change the inductance. (not so!)

Inductance is not regulated by voltage either, otherwise when (we)
changed the voltage (we)would change the inductance. (not so!)

Capacitance is defined as q/v. (We) must realize that The current in
the windings has little to do with inter- turn capacitance; it's the
voltage and charge within the inductor that defines its capacitance!

When (we) talk about the characteristics of inductors (we) cannot
limit ourselves to just current or voltage, (we) must consider:
Charge; the first derivative of charge and the second derivative of
charge.

Va to Vb = - L di/dt  speaks of the rate of change of current, not of
current itself.

Sincerely: (me)