From: Tesla list [mailto:tesla@xxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: December 8, 2005 9:24 PM
To: tesla@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Edge Wound Primaries

Original poster: "Angelini, Frank J" <FrankJAngelini@xxxxxxxxx>

  I have several old magazine articles from the 1920's - 40's.  Many
of the TC's advertized for purchase had edge-wound  primaries. They
used thin copper or brass ribbon stock, approx 1/2 - 3/4 - inch
wide.  Why was this design used?  Is there an electrical
advantage?  I have also seen this method of coil winding used in ham
radio gear.  Is special machinery required to edge-wind a primary
coil or can this be done in a home workshop?

Thanks