Edge Wound Primaries

Original poster: "Angelini, Frank J" <FrankJAngelini@xxxxxxxxx>

I have several old magazine articles from the 1920's - 40's. Many of the TC's advertized for purchase had edge-wound primaries. They used thin copper or brass ribbon stock, approx 1/2 - 3/4 - inch wide. Why was this design used? Is there an electrical advantage? I have also seen this method of coil winding used in ham radio gear. Is special machinery required to edge-wind a primary coil or can this be done in a home workshop?

Thanks