Re: An SCR by any Name....Re: 48kW DRSSTC: international names

Original poster: "Bob (R.A.) Jones" <a1accounting@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Hi,

> Original poster: <davep@xxxxxxxx>
>

>  > Wikipedia (not that Wikipedia is an authority on such matters)
>   right.
>  > defines it thus:
>  > "Some resources define silicon controlled rectifiers and thyristors as
>  > synonymous, while others define SCRs as a subset of thyristor".
>
>  > I had always thought that SCR was the generic term and thyristors, gate
>  > turn off and triacs etc where subsets (even diacs).
>    SCR is a Silicon COntrolled RECTIFIER, inherently a 'unipolar'
>    device, a controllable rectifier.
>
>     A TRIAC is inherently bipolar (tho could, i guess, be
>     used in psuedo SCR mode.)
>
>     A DIAC, likewise, is bipolar, and without the 'control'
>     aspect.
>
>     I should put them in different families.
>
>  > We probably should assume its an open question.
>     I suggest the names should refelct the function/physics.
>     Once these be unbderstood, the names follow.

Yes I totally agree the names should reflect the function/physics.
Unfortunately we don't get to decide. Frequently sloppy use of terms becomes
so common place that the meaning changes to reflect the common usage.

>     (Historically: 'thyristor' (as a word) was derived 'thyratron',
>      a mercury vapor/liquid device of Very Similar Use, tho
>      different physics.  If Pressed I shall fetch my
>      GE SCR Handbook, and....  8)>>)

I don't want to press you but I would be curious about what your GE book
says

>     best
>      dwp

Robert (R. A.) Jones