Re: Tesla coil formula

Original poster: Jared E Dwarshuis <jdwarshui@xxxxxxxxx>

I'd like to respectfully suggest that that may be because you have
to effectively introduce a fiddle factor by adding a specific amount
of terminal capacitance to make it work (and what's worse, adjust
that capacitance for a specific coil geometry). We have come full
circle. Discovering that hidden factor in a plethora of wire length
equations (all of which were sworn as gospel by their proponents)
back in the eighties was where I began my investigations which led
to my adopting the now popular L and C approach.

Malcolm

Hi: Malcolm

For an air cored inductor, the inductance, as derived by Maxwell's
equations can be written as:

L = u ( wire length )Sqrd / (4pi l )

Prominent is the wire length, a sadly neglected geometry.

Jared Dwarshuis