Re: Big coils in/near house : was - Warning on DRSSTC's

Gosh!!!

"I thought this was extremely unwise, but they tried it anyway. (It was raining outside.)"

:o))) Yeah! that's a good excuse :o)) Been there done, that... Sometimes Coils are too cool not to run no matter what it takes ;-))

I have a good tip to remember. If a coil runs at say 1000 watts. About %30 of that goes into the gap with 700 watts left over. If you don't "see" that 700 watts, be afraid, be very afraid!!! It has to go somewhere!!!

Happy to know the damage was not real bad!!! Thanks for sharing this. It helps to keep us on our toes!!

Cheers,

        Terry

At 05:10 PM 12/2/2005, you wrote:
On Tue, 29 Nov 2005, Tesla list wrote:

> I finally removed my RF ground system to some 40 ft away
> from the house down the driveway and since firing my coil
> at this "remote" distance from the house, I have had no
> more problems ;^)

NEAR a house?!

At a Weird Science meeting at a private home, a new coiler fired up his
8.5ft coil in the livingroom.  9ft ceilings!  I thought this was extremely
unwise, but they tried it anyway.  (It was raining outside.)  Little 6"
sparks jumped from the coil (no toroid) to the ceiling.

About 15 minutes later I smelled burning rubber.  It was stronger outside.
Smoke was pouring from the roof eves vents.

An hour later, after the FOUR FIRE TRUCKS had left, we knew that the fire
had started in the cellulose crawlspace attic insulation far from the
coil.  The coil arc had landed on a large sheet of aluminum foil
insulation in the ceiling, then jumped through the pile of blown cellulose
to another piece of foil.  The fire had gone out quickly by itself, but
the attic crawlspace was full of smoke.

So, its actually relatively easy to BURN YOUR HOUSE DOWN.

William J. Beaty                            SCIENCE HOBBYIST website
billb at amasci com                         http://amasci.com
EE/programmer/sci-exhibits   amateur science, hobby projects, sci fair
Seattle, WA  206-789-0775    unusual phenomena, tesla coils, weird sci