Re: Capacitor voltage - AC or DC

Hi Terry,

Often, "test to failure" will yield a lot of info about a part (this you have already done). Another approach is to run an accellerated test. In this case, run your high AC voltage at less than instant failure and log the hours it takes to failure. Start the test at close to the instant failure point and work down to a less stressful point and you might be able to extract a curve without a horrible amout of time. The accelerated tests require an appropriate sample size to be meaningful, but I believe it is doable.

Gerry R.

Hi,

Somehow, someday, somebody, has to do something... :-))

Probably the "last unknown" of MMCs is how long the (CD 942C20P15K) will tolerate say 60Hz at 6000Vp-p....

Maybe do a bunch of different voltages to make a nice graph of 'lifetime vs. over voltage'...

That would tell us all we still want to know...

Cheers,

        Terry

One usually overrates the cap for AC use. I suggest Erms x 2 as a correct DC rating, so with your 15 kV AC xmfr, for a near bullet proof cap bank, you want a cap bank rated at 30 kV DC.

If you are using 0.15 uF 2 kV caps in your strings then each 15 cap string would be rated .01 uF at 30 kV DC.

With a 30 mA xmfr you need approx .014 uF capacitance so you cheat a bit and use 11 caps in each string. This gives you a single string rated .0136 uF at 22 kV DC which will work fine with your 30 mA xmfr. You try to avoid a .01 uF match with the xmfr as the cap bank might resonate with the xmfr and damage the xmfr. Going a bit higher usually works very well. 1.2-1.3 x Cres.

Dr. Resonance