Re: UPDATED Images - New Models : Commercial SSTC Project

Original poster: "Mike" <mike.marcum@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

Kewl coil. Are the sparks really that thin and purple? Maybe if you redid the primary you could crank up the pulse width and get whitish ones, assuming the idbt's can take it.

Mike
To: <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Thursday, August 25, 2005 12:26 PM
Subject: Re: UPDATED Images - New Models : Commercial SSTC Project

Original poster: Steve Conner <steve@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

> easily produce 30"+ streamers from a two foot coil

The images look great but I can't see how it will
strike the floor when there is so little clearance
between toroid and strike rail. Surely it'll just arc
to the strike rail instead?

My DRSSTC looked like that to start with, and I was
hoping for the same visual effect of huge arcs from a
stubby coil, but I had to give up and raise the
secondary about 2". My best result is 47" of sparks-
3.3 times the winding length- but at this energy level
the coil is plagued by flashovers between primary and
secondary. I would certainly not push it that far if I
were trying to get commercial grade reliability.

Here is my conceptual rendering of Dan's conceptual
rendering. You have no idea how long it took to model
the tinfoil and bath towel hanging up to dry in
SolidWorks ;)

http://www.scopeboy.com/tesla/drsstc/sparks/yehaitworks.jpg

Steve Conner