Re: Passive Ballasting for DRSSTC - My thoughts before Ed Wingates Teslathon

Original poster: Edward Wingate <ewing7@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Tesla list wrote:

Original poster: "Mccauley, Daniel H" <daniel.h.mccauley@xxxxxxxx>

>Sorry we didnt meet up at NY this year, Dan, perhaps next time.  You
missed a great show (10' arcs in burst mode ;-)).

>And now i must prepare for DC Cox's Teslathon next weekend!

>Steve

Yeah, i really did wish i get up there. I hear that you definitely gave Ed's magnifier a run for his money! Nice job!

Dan

Dan,

With all due respect to Steve's very impressive solid state coil, and special thanks to Steve for bringing it to the Teslathon here, my magnifier still outperforms the solid state coil in arc current and arc length by a comfortable margin as observed by many in attendance. With that said, the superior efficiency of the sstc is evident in the fact that Steve was running from a 240 volt/ 20 amp circuit breaker and the breaker never tripped. Outstanding! My magnifier runs from a 240 volt 50 amp breaker and draws from 40 to 50 amps, depending on the rotary gap speed. Spark gap losses are significant even with the series rotary.

I have no doubt that it's just a matter of time until the solid state coils can be built to equal or even surpass spark gap coils, but that time is not yet here. I run my maggy very conservatively for reliability, so there is considerable "headroom" for performance enhancement by increasing the input voltage and current. The SS/spark gap Tesla coil battle will continue. :^)

Best Regards to all,

Ed Wingate RATCB