Re: Permanent magnet Tesla coil

Original poster: "Mike" <mike.marcum@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

I was talking about an alexanderson alternator. It was used to put out 17-100 khz voltage before tubes were around (around 1910 irrc, lost the link).

Mike
To: <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Sunday, August 21, 2005 5:27 PM
Subject: Re: Permanent magnet Tesla coil

"I know that , but why do the 50khz versions weigh so much and are so
bulky? Iron losses at that frequency?

Mike"

Two problems there.  First, I read  50 Hz when I should have read 50
kHz, so my original remark addressed the wrong topic.  More to the
point, were you talking about a 50 kHz ROTATING machine?  I don't think
there's anything like that around these days, but could be wrong.  All
of the high-frequency power supplies that I'm aware of involve
oscillators and power amplifiers, formerly high-power tubes and now
solid state.  Those could be big and heavy.

Ed