Re: Tesla Coil - Internal Arcing on Secondary

Dr. Res, all,

Also, too much dust on the form can cause the racing spark conditions.
I've had this happen to me with one of my large coils of the past. It had
been stored for a while in dusty conditions and the racing sparks started
as soon as I fired it up. At first I couldn't figure out why it was doing this
as it had never given tis kind of problem before. After dusting the second-
ary form and cleaning it up nicely, the problem dissappeared.

David Rieben

----- Original Message ----- From: "Tesla list" <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx> To: <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx> Sent: Thursday, August 18, 2005 6:19 PM Subject: Re: Tesla Coil - Internal Arcing on Secondary

It can also happen if you handle the coilform or coil with your bare hands especially if you are a "sweaty palms" type of person. The sodium chloride in your skin oils is an excellent conductor. After we wind a coil, especially a magnet wire type coil, we always use gloves to handle it. At 200-300 kV or more skin oil will track all over the coil --- not always but usually when you don't want this kind of problem.

Dr. Resonance

> The secondary wire itself should not be
> arcing to the form.  There is no reason for this to happen.

If you get grease on the form, it will happen.