Re: NST Pulse Voltage- getting pole pigs

Original poster: Steve Conner <steve@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

the chokes only lasted for about 10 mins before the insulation burnt.

Oh :( Mine have been OK. I modified them by tying one of the output terminals to the core, and jamming a piece of plastic in to insulate the wire that comes out from the inner layer of the winding.

The only problem with the inductive charger is that you limit the bang rate due to the changing reactance at different bang rates

If you use a de-Qing diode, the tank capacitor always charges to twice the DC link voltage no matter what the breakrate. See Richie Burnett's DC charging theory page.

I had trouble with power arcing on the rotary gap of my DC coil. I got some vicious trailing arcs that went almost a full 360' making the gap look like a catherine wheel. They would short the power supply and blow the mains fuse. But it went away at higher breakrates (200+ bps) and provided I got the gap motor up to speed before ramping up the HV supply all was well.

Does 4K look reasonable for a pole pig?

4K what? Ohms? VA? lbs? Or worst of all, money :-O

4K GBP seems believable for a brand new piggy straight from the manufacturer. But second-hand ones (11kV, 5-15kVA) should be a lot less if you can find them. If you are lookng for big transformers, try subscribing to the TCBOUK mailing list