Re: secondary wire diameter

Hi Dmitry,

Congradulations on building your first coil. The contemporary thinking is to have a H/D ratio of between 4:1 and 5:1. Choose the height appropriately for the spark length you are planning on, then choose the wire guage to get 1200-1500 turns. None of this is too critical.

Gerry R

Original poster: "Dmitry (father dest)" <dest@xxxxxxxxxxx>

hello all.

how do you choose secondary wire diameter?
imagine we have a certain secondary coil form, coil winding lenght -
1m. it`s known - "the more inductance - the better" - ok, but at very
high number of turns the Q of the coil is decreasing. what minimum Q
value could we use on practice?
while my proto secondary working in 3:4 mode and Q=382, losses are
1.5%, at Q=100 they are 5.6%, at Q=50 - 11% (calculations results from
Antonio`s "optesla"). as i`m going to choose minimum wire diameter,
you may forget about skin-effect.

how does the power of the coil is connected with the wire diameter -
for example, what wire should we use at 2-4kw? is it useful to wind
the bottom of the secondary by more thick wire as the main current flows
only there?

p.s.
i`ve found the source of PE pipes with 10-300mm diameter and wall
thickness of 2-28mm, but it`s LDPE - could i make the coil from it?