Re: NST Pulse Voltage

Original poster: "Mike" <mike.marcum@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

Are there any x-ray repair shops around? If you have a largish variac you can dial down one of those. If you have time on your hands in a pinch you can wind your own. Not that hard (few hundred turns secondary) if you can get some big ferrites (got some huge ones that I'm making a 15 kVA "pig" with a 2x2" cross section) off the net and run it at 100 kHz from a bridge and 340 vdc in (rectified/filtered mains). Only down side is either using oversized wire or litz (got mine from ebay) to get around the skin effect problem). Good thing is 30 lbs (including acrylic case/oil) or so beats 300+ lbs hands down.

Mike

----- Original Message ----- From: "Tesla list" <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx> To: <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx> Sent: Monday, August 15, 2005 3:09 PM Subject: Re: NST Pulse Voltage

Original poster: "Chris Rutherford" <chris1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

I guess over driving NSTs is not the way forwards. Does anyone know a good place to get pole pigs from in the UK at scrap prices for repair? There is no way I could buy a new one, they are thousands.

Thanks

Chris R

----- Original Message ----- From: "Tesla list" <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx> To: <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx> Sent: Monday, August 15, 2005 7:05 PM Subject: Re: NST Pulse Voltage

Original poster: Steve Ward <steve.ward@xxxxxxxxx>

Hi Ed,

I think you may be right.  I wasnt looking at it from an energy or
power point of view, just "open circuit voltage" point of view.  I
remember balancing these factors when designing my high frequency
capacitor charging power supply, ie, trying to use the least copper
possible vs switching loss in the inverter and core loss from the
higher frequencies.

Steve

> Original poster: Ed Phillips <evp@xxxxxxxxxxx>
>
> "It *is* possible to run the NST at a higher frequency, thus > allowing
> more Volts for less seconds (the V*t product is per half-cycle of
> operation, and assuming the core resets before the next cycle). > So
> running at 120hz rather than 60hz will let you put in 500V for > 20kv
> out. "
>
> Since the leakage INDUCTANCE wouldn't change the
leakage > reactance