Re: DC power on Tesla secondary (was 20 joules at 100 bps vs 4 joules at 500 bps)

At 06:08 PM 8/12/2005, you wrote:

Hi,

A Gerret +P 44 caliber magnum round (about the max any normal human would fire from a hand gun) is about 2000 joules.

The original AK-47 round is 1400 joules.

The 30-06 round is about 3600 joules...

At say 10 feet, the "bang" from 20kJ would knock your right off your feet and probably unconscious!!!

Only if all the energy is transmitted into you.

I've done quite a lot with exploding wires in that energy range, and while you feel it (standing some small number of meters away), it's not that bad. Compare it to standing next to someone firing an elephant gun. You feel the shockwave, but clearly the energy or momentum isn't being dumped into you.

Be careful, 20kJ is definitely in the "not at all funny" category!! It is important to note the a 20kJ spark happens in microseconds so the energy effect is a giant shock wave. The dropping car is spread out into a nice "soft" hit over tens of milliseconds...

See http://home.earthlink.net/~jimlux/energies.htm for a discussion of this.

For 20kJ sparks, you would have to be uncomfortably near so sand bags, very good ear protection, eye protection (very bright flash)....

Ear and eye protection sure.. Sand bags only if there's some sort of shrapnel likely.

A KKK fire work (those Big single air bangs at public 4th celebrations - 1/4 stick of dynamite) are about 70kJ...

I'd think a bit more energy, if it's really a 1/4 stick of dynamite. 1 Lb of HE is about 2 MJ, so a 1/4 stick would be more like 500 kJ.

BUT... sound and perceived impact is more a function of the time course ("whump" vs "bang" vs "crack") and how far you are from the source (i.e. are you getting a shock wave with an instantaneous pressure rise, or has it relaxed into a pulse)

You could probably easily hear 20kJ ten miles out... If you are within 15 miles of civilization, expect cops to show up....

I developed a semiautomated system to replace theatrical maroons (which are essentially large electrically fired firecrackers) using methane/oxygen explosions in a 6"x2foot chamber fired by a computer (drum pad hit generates midi signal, midi decoder generates pulse to electronic ignition, firing sparkplug, etc.). I forget the actual energy release (several tens of kJ?), but, after we were testing in the parking lot, the guys from the SWAT team who showed up said it sounded a lot bigger than regular automatic weapons fire from several blocks away.

The sound (and perception of what it is) greatly depends on a lot of things (atmospheric conditions are one).

The real problem I found (after a day of testing many thousands of shots at a rifle range in the foothills) was that my whole body was sore from taking repeated small shock wave impacts all over.

Be careful there friend :-) If you do set that thing off, try to get a tape video for us >:o)) But don't become a Darwin Award =:O Bill's 7.5kJ thing blew up the electronics in three of his neighbor's houses too and much just from the "electrical" shock wave!!!...

Cheers,

Terry