Re: Lightning beads

At 06:56 AM 8/8/2005, you wrote:
Original poster: "Bob (R.A.) Jones" <a1accounting@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Hi Chris,

> Original poster: "Chris Rutherford" <chris1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> > > Hi, > > Very interesting clip, I've just spent a couple of mins cutting out > some frames of a 'thing' with a strange 'decay'. Any ideas as to what it is? > > http://www.hackinghardware.com/tesla/frame350-550.avi > > Thanks > > Chris R >

I assume its just air plasma decaying. Its been suggested by the triggered lightning guys who have observed a similar effect, that an instability in the plasma causes the beads to form.

Plasma instability causing clumping are a well known effect and the bane of the fusion guys.

http://epsppd.epfl.ch/StPetersburg/PDF/P1_040.PDF

One thing I did notice when playing the video at normal speed. My attention
was drawn to a few long lasting beads.
When you single step thru the frames, the beading is a property of the whole
channel not just a few places.
I also noticed the drift of the beads so I doubt it was a saturation effect
in the camera.

Robert (R. A.) Jones
A1 Accounting, Inc., Fl
407 649 6400