Re: Contactor question

Original poster: gary350@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Yes that will work I have done it many times. If the relay or contactor is rated 30 amps that means each contact is 30 amps. If you parallel 4 contacts you get 120 amps. I built a 3 Phase converters for my Bridgeport Milling machine in the garage. I need a relay for a capacitor. I used a 10 amp relay with all 3 contacts in parallel. It has been working fine for 25 years.

This reminds me I have a 3 pole 100 amp contactor I would like to sell if anyone is interested. Thats 100 amps per contact or 300 amps with all the contacts in parallel. It needs a good cleaning it has collected a lot of dust setting under the work bench for the past 15 years. This thing is heavy probably 30 lbs. 120 volt AC coil. It measures about 6"x8"x12".

I also have a current limiting transformer I would like to sell. It is factory rated 1500 watt Continious or some would say 100% duty cycle. I have used it up to 5000 watts on my TC several short 30 second runs. After about 10 or 12 short 5000 watt runs it gets a little worm about 120 deg. As long as I don't get it smoking hot it won't hurt it. Usually after 12 short 30 second runs on my TC I am ready to stop anyway. Tomorrow it will be cool and I can fire it up again. It weights about 50 lbs. Measures about 8"x8"x12". It is rated 240/480 volts AC.

I have several secondary coils, 4", 6", 8", 10", 15" coils wound with about 950 turns each and 3 coats of polyurethane. Coils are all would on PVC with enamel coated copper wire the appropriate size for each coil. I need to sell these too.

I have some primary coils to sell too.

Gary Weaver

Hi all,

Just a quick question about relay contactors. Let's say that I have
a 4-pole, 30 FLA inductive per pole rated contactor. Does this mean
that I will have up 120 amp inductive rating of the contact points if I
use all 4 of the poles in a parallel or series parallel fashion in a single
circuit to switch my pole pig transformer under a load?

Thanks,
David Rieben