Re: DC power on Tesla secondary (was 20 joules at 100 bps vs 4 joules at 500 ...

Original poster: FIFTYGUY@xxxxxxx

In a message dated 8/14/05 2:48:18 PM Eastern Daylight Time, tesla@xxxxxxxxxx writes:
>A Gerret +P 44 caliber magnum round (about the max any normal human
>would fire from a hand gun) is about 2000 joules.

In American terms, that's about 1500 ft-lbs. BTW, that's a darn hot load for a .44 Remington Magnum cartridge. And yes, about the most oomph "normal" folks tolerate from a handgun (especially the *Garrett* +P ammo with increased chamber pressure, extra powder loads, and heavy bullets).

I hope this is not too off-topic, but is that kinetic energy of the
bullet? chemical energy in the propellant? or what?

Kinetic energy of the projectile (specified typically at a distance not far after it's left the muzzle). Only about 35% of the chemical energy available from the powder is transformed into translational kinetic energy of the projectile. Interestingly, this about the same effciency as a typical internal combustion automobile.

The biggest bang I ever got (apart from that time I snipped through a live 240v extension cord with wire cutters)

    Heck of a thing to do to a nice pair of cutters...

Larger coils, like industrial motor drives and traction inverters, can have rupture energies comparable to the rounds of ammunition Terry was talking about. But I've never seen an electronic engineer working on one live with a flak jacket! I guess they are designed _not_ to launch sharp pieces of metal at supersonic velocities.

I've seen motor drives experience explosive catastrophic failure. Most of the time the largest pieces of metal are the heatsink(s), which are usually bolted into a panel or support structure at the rear. Thus any blast just blows loosely mounted pieces of plastic, bits of wire, and circuit boards off the front of the drive. These fragments don't have much long-range penetrating power due to their irregular shape and low density.
Because of air pass-through for cooling the drive, the blast from a power semiconductor or big circuit trace vaporizing is vented into a relatively large space before it is somewhat shielded by a cover (in non-chassis mounts). The cover would also act as a shield before it was blown off. Perhaps more importantly, any cover helps to arrest the large ball of flame or plasma...
Put that same power semiconductor inside a closed chamber (a gun barrel?) and you could surely use its explosion to propel a proper metal projectile.
Don't forget about current ratings in power distribution and components - let a fault current exceed the "explosion current" in a piece of equipment and it will do just that. So yes, technicians sometimes work on live equipment wearing "flak jackets" to protect from "arc flash".

-Phil LaBudde