Re: Arc welder as pig ballast not working right

Original poster: FutureT@xxxxxxx

Seanick,

When the coil behaves in a staccato fashion, is it a smooth
drifting in and out of phase as if the spark gradually waxes
and wanes, or does it have a sudden fast spark cut-off and
turn-on?   If it's a smooth effect, this could be because
the rotary gap is dropping out of sync when you draw more
power.   I doubt that's happening but thought I'd mention it.

You aren't seeing any spark follow-around or spark trailing
at the rotary electrodes are you?  This would signify power-arcing
and very poor quenching.

John