Re: Light buld in water experement

Original poster: "Bob (R.A.) Jones" <a1accounting@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Hi Gary
> Original poster: gary350@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
>
> Here is an interesting experement.  Put an incandescent light bulb in
> a bowl of water.  Put the bowl of water in the micro wave and push
> cook.  The light buld will light up.  The light bulb will not light
> up if you take it out of the water.  I have not tried a light bulb in
> water with my TC but I have used a 6" clear light bulb as a plasma
> globe on my TC.   Has anyone descovery any strange phenomena about
> the TC something that works that logically should not work sorta like
> the microwave light bulb in water experement?

I don't know the details of your experiment but I would expect if the bowl
of water is large the light bulb will not light if its just placed some were
else in the oven as the water absorbs too much of the energy.

In my experiments I was in the habit of putting a half full mug of water in
the corner of the MO so there was always some load.

In order to hold the light bulb upright, on one occasion, I put the bulb cap
down in the mug and put the mug in the center of the MO.
The bulb appeared to light immediately and very brightly. I assumed the
water was grounding (or adding a ground plain to) the connections to the
filaments and hence it was better matched to absorb the energy. i.e. it was
a better monopole. In this configuration one bulb got so hot the envelope
expanded  like a balloon then suddenly exploded much to the amazement and
surprise of my audience. I have tried it a few times since but never been
able to reproduce the balloon effect. I don't know what the gas pressure
inside modern light bulbs is but I would assume its too low to ever get
greater than one atmosphere even with heating.. Perhaps it had a slow leak
and was actually at atmospheric pressure initially and that's why I have
never been able to reproduce the effect.

Perhaps a similar effect grounding effect with your floating light bulb.

Robert (R. A.) Jones A1 Accounting, Inc., Fl 407 649 6400