Re: Recent s.s.t.c work

Original poster: "K. C. Herrick" <kchdlh@xxxxxxx>

An update for those interested... Ref.

http://hot-streamer.com/temp/KCH_TCH1.jpg
 and
http://hot-streamer.com/temp/KCH_TCH2.jpg

I had started slowly to turn up the H.V. without taking sufficient precautions and blew both bricks. With a tip from Steve Ward I've ordered some more--bigger ones--at a quite tolerable price. In the interim, I'm finishing up some odds & ends and changing the circuits slightly. One change is to incorporate a ferrite-cored feedback transformer rather than the Rogowski that I had before. That, to minimize phase-shift of the feedback signal due to leakage inductance. I've located the coil at the juncture of the primary's inductor and the capacitor-string--which (ideally) will remain at mains-common potential, the primary being driven by an H-bridge. In order to keep it a bit nearer to that potential, I've included a 1 uF capacitor from that point to mains-common; there should be zero current in it with a perfect primary.

Another change has been to improve (I trust!) my 4 IGBT driver circuits, resultant from further simulation. For now, I've gone back to the 12V l.v. supply rather than piggy-backing the 12V onto the 5V. If not enough, I can always re-do that.

I've added a 100 mV/50 A current shunt in the common bus connecting the two mains capacitors. That, to monitor IGBT common-mode current, which I think is what shot me down initially. I should be able to use that while the coil is operating, via a long twisted-pair to the differential scope inputs.

As soon as I receive the replacement bricks & install them, I'll be ready for the next anxiety moments.

Ken Herrick