slo-syn motor frustration, can someone help?

Original poster: "Robert Hanford" <pomnept@xxxxxxxxxxx>

Hi All
I recently bought a great old 220v variac and it came with a slo-sync motor to move the wiper. It was working nicely until one day it
(the motor) started just sort of trembling. I changed the 3u cap with no luck and feeling that a winding was probably burnt out I found one that is similar in all respects on e-bay, except that it is about twice as long! It sort of works with a stuttering shuffling action and I am thinking and hoping that maybe with a different cap/resistor set up it might work.However being the incompetent person I am I was hoping for some feedback on this before I do anything stupid! Replies much appreciated.
Robert Hanford