Re: 20 joules at 100 bps vs 4 joules at 500 bps

Original poster: "Malcolm Watts" <m.j.watts@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

Hi Dmitry,

On 9 Aug 2005, at 16:06, Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "Dmitry (father dest)" <dest@xxxxxxxxxxx>
>
> Hello Malcolm.
> at first - thanks for so extensive reply, some more below :-)
>
>  > Original poster: "Malcolm Watts" <m.j.watts@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
>
>  >  > i`m now finishing 95 year - reading goes slowly, but it goes %-)
>  one >  > coiler run 8kw and get only miserable 73" - it`s _very_
>  funny to read >  > :-) i`m going to shoot myself right in my face if
>  my 2kw mot coil will >  > not outperform this 10-years-old pole pig
>  powered dinosaur :-))) > >  I suggest that you would be wise to wait
>  until you build > your first coil before laughing at the efforts of
>  others ;)
>
> i think the problem is not here - majority of ordinary coilers still
> don`t know what does they measure and how - now i`m speaking about
> measuring of coil`s power consumption.
>
>  >  > you`re coiling more than
>  >  > 10 years - haven`t you seen something similar in your coils? and
>  what >  > - after 5-10 years this effect is still a mystery for all?
>  :-) > > Is it? Coiling is about more than basic electrical theory and
>  > resonant circyuit behaviour as you should have gathered by now. The
>  > peculiar mixture of gases we call air and its ionization >
>  characteristics are as much a part of sparking Tesla Coils as any >
>  other component.
>
> so what`s the problem? basic electrical theory allows you to make
> necessary calculations to obtaim desired voltage & power. wanna get
> certain spark - learn the theory of spark discharge in gases, isn`t
> it?
>
>  > The highest power I ran at was about 1800W. That was more which >
>  than enough to enable me to witness and measure the phenomena occur.
>
> how did you measure the power? if these results are in archives - in
> what year approximately?

I don't recall if I mentioned that specific figure on the list but I
do recall mentioning power draws in the 1+ kW range on several
occasions. You will come across them sooner or later. The figure is
wallplug draw, not Ep x BPS which was understandably lower - I don't
recall exactly how much. It was measured using a Wattmeter. The
consumption fluctuated considerably depending on the type of output
discharge (higher with attached). Yes, I was somewhat puzzled by this
result. Unfortunately I was not scoping the coil at the time I
performed that test so cannot say exactly how the output was
influencing goings-on in the primary circuit (e.g. breakrate
variation).

Malcolm