Re: 20 joules at 100 bps vs 4 joules at 500 bps

Original poster: "Dmitry (father dest)" <dest@xxxxxxxxxxx>

> Original poster: Steve Conner <steve@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
>
> I think pretty much all the bases have been covered on this over the
> years.

maybe you`re right - i`ve only started reading archives, but imo it`s worth
working in this direction.

> Even if you add fins to the secondary to increase the tracking distance,
> you will just get excessive hits to ground and the strike rail, rather
> than long sparks. I tried this a couple of weeks ago (but not using fins)
> with a 24" x 8" toroid on top of my old 4.5" x 13" spark gap coil, and
> that was what happened.

so we need to remove the strike rail and lift the coil upper from the
ground.

http://www.lod.org/Projects/electrum/testing/pages/vertstrk.html
http://www.lod.org/Projects/electrum/testing/pages/pwrfence.html

do you see a giant strike rail or stupid wide flat primary here? no? me too,
nevertheless in "most coils" they are still present. why not make primary
like here:

http://www.lod.org/Projects/electrum/construction/pages/pricoil.html
http://www.lod.org/Projects/electrum/NewZealand/pages/nzmanway.html

besides - your oltc2 ideally matches for this - only 1 turn, but instead of
this you`ve taken an "old 4.5" x 13" spark gap coil" - why?
:-PPP

> *Now for the opposite case- If you put a small toroid on top of a big
> coil, you will get several short sparks coming out instead of a
> single long one.

i`ve read that we should use 2 hats - small & big, small one protects the
secondary, large - helps us to make big sparks :-)

> 3) Their book "Spark Discharge" costs $100+! If you want to shell out
> for a copy, and try to "adapt" the "currently available facts"
> contained in it to Tesla coiling, good luck! But I believe Terry
> bought it, and I haven't seen any 120 foot sparks coming from his
> back yard yet.

first - if one specific person doesn`t have "120 foot sparks" that doesn`t
mean _anything_ - you know what i mean ;-)
second - i`am very very very sorry guys, coz this book costs only about $5
for russians:

http://www.fizmatkniga.ru/product_info.php?cPath=56_89&products_id=4251
as like this for example:
http://www.fizmatkniga.ru/product_info.php?cPath=56_89&products_id=174

i`ve bought it just for fun, now it`s on my shelf, i`ve no time to read it,
but maybe some day - who knows?  :-)))

-----
I have run coils up to 20KW in residential neighborhoods.  I have
received death threats and have had the police, fire, and department of
water and power all show up at the same time. Screw 'em all. Keep firin'.
(c) Mark Barton  29-09-95